Sharing thanks for my favorite holiday, "Thanksgiving"

Indian Corn, taken at a New York City Market
I feel like I lost a few weeks. I live on Long Island where everyday since Sandy hit things are getting back to normal.  Hurricane Sandy was kind to me, I was only out of power for 5 days, and we just suffered a few downed tree branches. Luckily our downed tree branches did not hit our house or our car. It has been hard to see our coast get hit so hard. I loved the Long Beach Boardwalk and it is frightening how many people near the coast have lost there homes, and cars.Our family gathered together at my Mom's who was lucky to get power back in just 3 days! She hosted us and my brother's family from NJ. We spent the time cooking together and playing scrabble feeling happy to be in a safe place with lights and heat. I have been very thankful these days for the simple things: like waking up and seeing the lights on my digital clock working; cooking a hot meal, heat and taking a hot bath or shower. If you want to help the victims of Sandy you can donate to the Red Cross! It is amazing to see the progress that has been made. Lights are on, trees have been removed, gas lines have gone away. Thanks to everyone who has worked long days and nights to restore our power and fix our streets and homes. We are preparing to celebrate Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday. I am looking forward to reconnecting with my family and my in-laws. I am dedicating my sharing thanks to what I am thankful for this thanksgiving.
  1. Thanks to my parents who are hosting Thanksgiving this year. My mom makes a wonderful turkey. My parents have nourished our family by hosting this gathering for the past 50 years.
  2. Thankful that our country has a holiday dedicated to giving thanks and celebrating tolerance. What is amazing about the holiday is it celebrates two different cultures who worked together and put aside their differences to celebrate a bountiful harvest. 
  3. I am thankful to do a little cooking. I am making the famous Davidson broccoli salad with a thanksgiving twist (when in doubt add cranberries!), and baking an apple pie. I enjoy making delicious food and watching people enjoy it. 
  4. Thanks to the Macy's day parade. I am looking forward to enjoying watching this great event on tv this year. I have been lucky to go in person a few times during my life and recommend seeing the balloons up close. I love New York in the fall!
Wishing everyone a safe happy and healthy Thanksgiving!  I look forward to sharing my small joys with you more frequently. I would love to hear if you have any favorite family thanksgiving recipes that you enjoy. My family loves the green bean casserole with the fried onions on top. Share your favorite dish! Your comments always add to this blog!

Comments

Best of Sharing Thanks

Ten Easy Gratitude Habits

Create a Sharing Thanks Journal with someone to cultivate a Grateful Heart

Thankful for Chihuly's impressionistic water reflections at New York Botanical Gardens