Sharing thanks for setting small monthly goals in 2020 and Serendipity!

Thankful for a new year and decade!
Wow, its 2020! January is such a great time to reflect and restart. I read in Arianna Huffington's Weekly Thoughts Newsletter that tiny changes can lead to big results. She recommends reading B.J. Fogg's book Tiny Habits. Fogg a Stanford behavioral scientist writes, "To be effective, change doesn't have to be hard at all-and it shouldn't be. Tiny adjustments that come easily and make us happy are the ones that work best." So I have decided to set small monthly goals in 2020 instead of resolutions that last until about the first few weeks of January.

I am an avid reader of fiction, nonfiction, and yes self-help books. I love going to my local library and discovered and took out a book by UK author, Marianne Power called "Help Me!" The pink cover with a stack of books caught my eye at our New Non-fiction display at the library.



The title of the book did not disappoint me. I put my books in the backseat of my mini-van. On the drive home, I guess the books shifted and when I tried to open the slider mini-van door I found "Help Me!" stuck in the slider mechanism.The book was screaming, "Help Me!" as the sliding door was knocking against me as I tried to wrestle the book out of where it was stuck. I am now the proud owner of this book! "Help Me!" is written by a 30-something British journalist who picks a new self-help book to read each month and chronicles her adventures by putting the books recommendations into action. I started reading the book while taking a bath last night and it is laugh-out-loud funny!!

I started this blog a few years ago to build a gratitude habit and to encourage blog readers to share what they are grateful for in the comments of the blog or via @sharingthanks on Instagram, and @sharingthanks on Twitter. I have been remiss in 2019 to keep up with the blog and was inspired to restart sharing my gratitude and my love of writing and taking pictures by a gift from my daughter.The gift was a gratitude book to journal 3 things I am grateful for everyday with some great gratitude quotes. It's called "Good days start with Gratitude Journal" published by Pretty Simple Books. I  decided to get back to basics by sharing 4 things I am thankful for this week. I am heeding, Fogg's advice by setting a tiny goal, committing to posting once a week.

Helping sharing thanks by sharing with #sharingthanks4 on Twitter and #sharingthanks4 on Instagram. Share a mini-goal you have started in January, or just a simple joy that you are #sharingthanks4 this week. I will retweet @sharingthanks! You can also just share in the comments of this post. I love getting comments. I do not post comments from anonymous.


Sharing Thanks 4 Week of January 11, 2020

  1. I am thankful for Serendipity! This week I came across the Arianna Huffington's newsletter in my gmail, and I believe I am meant to start the year off by reading, "Help Me!" I am thankful for coincidences that cross my path and get me to stop and think! I love reading and have a set a mini goal to read 2 books a month!
  2. I am thankful to be able to write and share what I am thankful for on this blog. I enjoy taking pictures and sharing my experience and adventures. I am thankful for my daughter Becky who gave me books for Christmas. The gratitude journal she gave me inspired me to reboot this blog.
  3. I am thankful to be able to walk further this week. I am recovering from a knee sprain that occurred in December. So thankful to the physical therapist who has been helping me learn exercises to strengthen my knee. I like being active.
  4. I am thankful to my daughter Liz who has helped me with cooking and doing laundry in December when I was having trouble walking due to the knee sprain. There is nothing better than having a home cooked meal while you are healing.





Comments

Best of Sharing Thanks

Ten Easy Gratitude Habits

Create a Sharing Thanks Journal with someone to cultivate a Grateful Heart

Thankful for Chihuly's impressionistic water reflections at New York Botanical Gardens