Tips for starting gratitude, meditation and reading habits in 2021!


My little gratitude night journal


Make your own gratitude journal

My husband gave me this small notebook for Christmas as a stocking stuffer. I decided to decorate it with some small doodles. I keep this on my night table, and am channeling the great Oprah Winfrey by writing down what I am grateful for each night. My gratitude list includes kindnesses I have received from family, friends or even strangers, simple joys I have witnessed, a home cooked meal, letting go of something that was not right for me. Its big ideas and small observations. The sky is the limit to what you can be grateful for even on a bad day. I list 4 gratitudes for the day! It helps you focus on what is good and possible in your life. If I miss a day, I just start again.

Tips for starting new habits for 2021!

I was inspired by Gretchen Rubin's #read21in21 challenge! I love reading and its been fun following the tag on Instagram to read short book reviews of what other people are reading for fun and inspiration. My reading tastes are in the escapism light comedy and romance mood these days to boost my spirits. I just finished reading Jennifer Weiner's book "Good in Bed" which I enjoyed. I had read "Mrs. Everything" earlier in the year which was a feminist fiction book which I liked. I just started reading "Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating" by Christina Lauren.

This got me thinking about what else I could do in 21 minutes a day?

I got an invite from Dan's Harris's 10% Happier app for a free 21-day meditation New Years Challenge. I signed up and have completed 17 of the short meditation sessions. I love to sit in my reading nook and do the daily 12-13 minute  guided meditations, Each day is a new topic. It is a fantastic way for me to end my day. It has made me realized how important it is to practice. Even when you miss a day, its returning to the practice that is important.

Even though its winter I try to bundle up and try to take at least a 21- minute walk outside everyday. My dog Oreo likes to walk around the block.
 
Oreo getting ready for her walk

I also enjoy going to parks nearby to walk in the woods. Being in nature on a sunny day lifts my spirits. I love being able to watch the sunset. The sky down by the bay provides beautiful views and colors!
A recent sunset by the bay near Jones Beach

Doing something for 21 days can help develop a new routine. Do not be discouraged if life gets in the way and you miss a day. Be kind to yourself and just start again. Too often we miss a day and just give up altogether. Its this practice of restarting that is important. I also find committing small amounts of time to new habits easier to schedule in my day. Its easy to find 13 or 21 minutes to try something new. 

I would love to hear what habits you would like to start in 2021!

Comments

Best of Sharing Thanks

Ten Easy Gratitude Habits

Create a Sharing Thanks Journal with someone to cultivate a Grateful Heart

Thankful for Chihuly's impressionistic water reflections at New York Botanical Gardens