Sharing thanks for the rebuilt boardwalk at Jones Beach

New Boardwalk at Jones Beach
It was a beautiful sunny weekend on Long Island this weekend. If you live on Long Island one of the best beaches to go to is Jones Beach State Park. Hurricane Sandy destroyed the boardwalk, and some of the roads on Ocean Parkway. Growing up on Long Island I have many fond memories of Jones Beach. As a kid my mom used to take us to Jones Beach everyday over the summer. I remember the craft Tee-Pee, swimming in the salt water pool, the pitch and putt golf course, the playgrounds, shuffleboard, paddle tennis, and listening to music in the band shell. It is a wonderful place to go at night with your family to have some reasonable fun. I think it costs $2 to play shuffle board. Here is what I am thankful for after my recent trip to Jones Beach.
  1. Thanks to the people who rebuilt the boardwalk. I enjoyed seeing the flags flying! The beach was crowded and the boardwalk was filled with families with strollers, seniors enjoying a stroll, and college kids!
  2. Thanks that the games at Jones Beach are up and running! The Saturn playground is open, the miniature golf course is open along with the shuffleboard, paddle tennis, and the volley ball courts.
  3. I am thankful that they are in the process of renovating the band shell. I love the line dancing at Jones Beach and listening to the free bands on the weekends. This is not open yet. The hurricane knocked out the seating around the bandshell  and there is no schedule of events for the bandshell as of yet.
  4. Thankful that the concessions are open, and I enjoyed getting a diet soda. I was thankful to strike up a conversation with a young man behind me. We started talking while we were watching a lady try to cut the line to pay cash. He was a veteran who served some time in Afghanistan and has just finished his MBA. He was working with kids with special needs to help put himself through school. Any company would be lucky to hire this young man. 
I enjoyed a small walk along the ocean, taking my shoes off and cooling off my feet in the very cold ocean. There is something wonderful about having sand between your toes. I sat down on the beach and enjoyed listening to the calming sound of the waves crashing to shore. I felt a sense of normalcy and was so thankful that with hard work, this place was reconstructed and ready to make memories for more families.

I invite you to share something you are thankful for!

Comments

Best of Sharing Thanks

Ten Easy Gratitude Habits

Create a Sharing Thanks Journal with someone to cultivate a Grateful Heart

Thankful for Chihuly's impressionistic water reflections at New York Botanical Gardens