Sharing thanks for father's day

Happy Father's Day ! Found this special I love you dad written in Stone at Target Beach

We've had a wonderful family day celebrating father's day today. My kids helped make a steak and egg breakfast which we ate together outside on the patio! Then we went out to see a minor leg baseball game with my mom and dad and our family. It was fun singing, "Take me out to the ballgame." We all enjoyed the beautiful sunshine, the famous hot dog race and rooting for the Ducks who were losing! Today's Sharing Thanks is dedicated to our dads. Thanks to the readers who posted beautiful tributes to their dads.


  1. SKautz wrote, "I am thankful for my Dad for several reasons. He had a lot of issues when we (6kids) were growing up. I guess he he a lot of growing up to do himself. He always could make us laugh(I guess thats why nobody could stay angry at him!)I have to give him credit for my sense of humor in even the darkest times. My Dad never needed a lot to be happy and never really worried. I am still working on the not worrying part. The best part of my Dad is what a wonderful grandfather he is to my son. My father is my sons "best friend" My Dad will spend hours with my son playing cards of watching crazy game shows. The best way to make me happy is to love my son and nobody does it beter than my Dad. I never thought I could count on him growing up and boy has he suprised me! I love you Daddy" 
  2.  Janine shared, "I'm thankful for knowing without a inkling of a doubt that my Daddy was there for me, whenever I needed him. He was my champion. He was my guide. He didn't just talk respect, he walked it. Never "yeah," always "yes sir, no sir - or mam" to his piers or elders. So, so respectful. And from the heart, too! Not put on. So, I learned from his example about respecting others - all others, no matter which age, gender, ethnicity, or socio-economic background. All were to be respected, and I can remember him saying, "there's good in everyone." And I absolutely believe he was right. Only, no one was to harm an innocent, a woman or child, especially his own, without him probably coming down on them like a mountain lion. He was protective. Yeah.

    One great gift to my sister and me was his respect and regard for our mother. Coming from the old South, he'd frequently say things like, "A woman puts her life in danger to bear a child." To him, a mother was someone pretty special. He always expected nothing but respect by my sister and me for my mother, my grandmother, aunts - and he also set the example. In fact, it may sound strict by today's standards, but I think it very loving, he wouldn't allow us to refer to our mother as "she," or "her," only "Mama," which is what we called her. There is something honorable in that.

    I could list a thousand reasons why I love my Daddy. I really could. And I'm not saying he was perfect. He had his faults, and I had my issues with him. But one thing is for certain, he loved us. He LOVED us. And we KNEW it. We knew it. And that love is still with me. I carry it with me in my heart, in every cell, in every breath of my body.

    I love him, and, Linda, when I saw the beautiful stones spelling out, I Love You Dad, in the sand at the beach, in your photo, I couldn't help but wonder if someone was sending a postcard to their Dad on the other side, for him to look down upon, and smile.
    Some of us are truly blessed with this gift of having such a loving father. What a treasure. Truly.
  3. I am thankful for my Dad! He is a wonderful, generous, loving father and grandfather. I'm so happy we got to celebrate the day seeing a minor league baseball game today. My dad is one of my biggest fans and comes to see many of my concerts with the South Shore Symphony. My dad loves the outdoors and has taught me you are never to old to learn something new. He went skiing for the first time in his 40s and still enjoys downhill skiing in his 70s. He loves music and decided to start taking guitar lessons a few years ago. My dad loves to get up early and makes the most of everyday. He makes an effort to write loving notes in his greeting cards. One of his nicknames is the Silver Fox! He enjoys and loves his family.  He is also known for his brilliant philosophies. "Work is work, if it was play it would not be called work." My dad and mom taught us all to have a good work ethic and to else make time to play and enjoy life! Happy Father's Day Dad, I love you!
  4. I am thankful for my husband Spencer, Dad to my daughters! Two of my favorite pictures of are of my husband holding my daughters just minutes after they were being born. He was a good labor coach! He enjoys spending time with his family of girls! He loved to read to the kids when they were young and helped them both become lifelong readers. I remember our family vacations where we would bring a jump rope with us and have impromptu jump rope games at the drive in movies and other odd places. He is a big kid himself and enjoys playing games of monopoly, life, hearts, spades, and blokus. He is always generous! He has cheered for my daughters at their dance recitals, concerts, plays, softball games, and graduations. Happy Father's Day! I love you!
I invite you to thank your dad in the comments! I love hearing all the wonderful tributes to dads!

Comments

Best of Sharing Thanks

Ten Easy Gratitude Habits

Create a Sharing Thanks Journal with someone to cultivate a Grateful Heart

Thankful for Chihuly's impressionistic water reflections at New York Botanical Gardens